SHIPPING INCLUDED ON ALL U.S. ORDERS OVER $75
July 23, 2021
Need to know: how heat effects your skin
blog by Debbi Burnes
Summer is here and record-breaking heat waves are already in full swing. We have cooling centers, air conditioning, light clothing, recommendations to stay inside and loads of info on the potential health issues from overheating. These measures are helpful ways to prevent heat related illness and issues. Besides the heat related health issues, we are aware of, skin is also subject to negative effects from overheating. it’s time to get skin savvy when it comes to heat!
Did you know:
1. Hot weather increases water loss as we tend to sweat more and spend time in air conditioning, increasing dehydration. As we sweat, we continuously lose hydration from the skin, which can cause irritated, dry skin, cracked lips and accelerated aging.
DIY fix - Drink extra fluids, use a green, black or roobois tea as a facial mist, apply a facial oil
Sumbody fix - Spritz with Dew Me facial misters or apply our Hydration Station Squalane Oil moisturizer.
2. Heat can destroy collagen and elastin, causing it to become thinner and weaker, leading to premature wrinkling
DYI fix - Eat food rich in amino acids vitamin C, zinc and copper
Collagen boosting mask
1 teaspoon brewed white tea
1/2 teaspoon mashed banana
¼ teaspoon aloe vera
¼ teaspoon honey
¼ teaspoon mashed strawberry.
Sumbody fix - Apply Hi5 Collagen Boosting Moisturizer, Full infusion Hyaluronic Serum, or Vitamin C Serum to protect and rebuild collagen.
3. Heat rash can happen to everyone, and it’s no fun! It is usually caused by sweat trapped on your body and/or sweat glands that have been clogged from dirt and dust. Heat rash can be anywhere, including your face, and can cause itchiness, irritation, stinging skin, small bumps, or blisters.
DYI fix - If you are sweating a lot, bathe more than once a day, even an extra rinse can help prevent rashes. Try to keep your skin is dry as you can, wear light clothing that is breathable and refrain from scratching. Some people find relief from oatmeal or baking soda baths, or aloe vera.
Sumbody fix - Use our non-talc arrowroot body powder to prevent sweat buildup and stay dry. Treat irritated skin with our Colloidal Oat or Mustard Detox bath, Over Exposed sunburn spray or Crème de la Crème facemask.
4. Sunburn: we all know the cause and effect here!
DYI fix - wear UV protecting light clothing and a wide brim hat, sit in the shade, stay inside during the hottest parts of the day and incorporate other sun avoiding measures. Bathe in black tea, oats and apply aloe vera. Look for chemical free sunscreen.
Sumbody fix - Spritz with our Over Exposed sunburn spray or use our Colloidal Oat bath
5. Acne: sweat can act like a magnet for dust, grime and pollution and the extra moisture can trap bacteria. When your pores are clogged it create the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. Excessive heat only intensifies the issue.
DYI fix - cleanse with a honey & clay paste, increase your skincare routine
Sumbody fix - Switch to items from our Clear Up line during the summer months, cleanse with Honey Skin Cleanser and Shower Mask, add a zit zapper, bathe in one of our detox baths.
6. Bacterial infections: hot temperatures can increase infections and irritation as the heat and moisture gives bacteria and viruses the perfect environment to thrive.
DYI fix - wash your hands often or use a chemical free hand sanitizer, refrain from touching your face. Wear loose light breathable fitting clothes
Sumbody fix - Bathe in our ABC Detox or Mustard Detox bath salts, use our organic alcohol-based hand sanitizer with witch hazel and aloe, stay dry with our arrowroot body powders
Signs of Skin Dehydration
Signs of Body Dehydration
May 04, 2023
March 31, 2023
January 03, 2023