It seems that behind every hot natural beauty brand is a strong woman. And a chemist. And an industry insider, a marketing guru, an influencer and of course, a mother. It takes a village, as they say. Unless you’re CEO and co-founder of Sumbody, in which case you’re all of these things in one complete package. Meet Debbi Burnes, the pioneering natural beauty expert who has been “at the forefront of the natural beauty product revolution” for at least two decades.
Long before chocolate, mushrooms and charcoal were known beauty foods, Debbi was sharing her make-it-at-home formulating secrets in her book Natural Beauty Skin Care: 110 Organic Formulas for a Radiant You! Also the author of the whistle-blowing book Look Great, Live Green, Debbi was an early advocate for toxin-free personal care, warning millions of readers about the chemicals lurking in our beauty products.
Concerned about the rapid proliferation of chemical-laden products and convinced that nature is the ultimate innovator, Debbi married her knowledge of chemistry, biology and cosmetology with extensive studies in medicinal herbs, nutrition and environmental sustainability to launch Sumbody, an extensive range of skincare, body care and color cosmetics formulated with pure, potent and all-around wholesum natural and organic ingredients.
Regularly highlighted on TV (The Tyra Banks Show, Access Hollywood and NBC’s Wine Country Living) and in magazines (including In Style, Lucky, Organic Style, W, Shop Etc. and O, The Oprah Magazine), Sumbody’s good-for-the-whole-family formulations have become a household name, and a favorite among celebrities.
Consumers have the right to know what they’re putting on their skin, and how it affects their health, their skin’s health and the health of the planet. In her first book, Look Great, Live Green, Deborah listed the top ten ingredients to avoid. A decade later, that list is still relevant. It serves as a starting point for your journey to becoming an informed consumer making smart decisions for healthy living.
In Look Great, Live Green, Debbi coined the phrase, “85/15% Life Style”. She may be a skincare expert, but she knows that life is just too short to deny yourself your version of “Vitamin J” – her code word for junk.
The 85/15% Lifestyle is all about balance. Maybe chocolate, pizza or French fries are your “J” – so enjoy them! Or maybe your “J” is highlights. Give yourself permission to choose your own poison in moderation – just don’t let others choose it for you. 85% of the time, try to observe a “clean” lifestyle, and the other 15% of the time indulge in your Vitamin J.
“Detox” has become the word of the day in the industry, but long before others started promoting their products, Debbi had already developed her Detox line. She understood that ridding your body and skin of harmful chemicals not only makes you healthier, but younger in appearance AND spirit.
Chemicals, natural oils in your skin, dirt, and pollen in the air create plugs and clog your pores, which wreaks havoc on your skin. When your pores are congested, your skin cannot breathe and function properly. Furthermore, oils trapped by clogged pores go rancid and break down your collagen, which starts and accelerates the aging process.
Detoxing was Debbi’s logical solution based on her observation of what happens when pores are not clean, and her knowledge that everyone has congested pores. She is a strong supporter of detoxing both internally and externally, in a gentle, effective and healthy way. She would never suggest starving and drinking only fluids – you can’t starve skin to detox it! Instead, she encourages you to nurture, support, protect and heal your skin.
Debbi is a true industry leader. She doesn’t follow trends – she starts revolutions!