Deborah Burnes, CEO and Co-Founder of Sumbody, started modeling for world-famous artist, Salvador Dali at a very young age. She moved from New York to Los Angeles to continue her career, and during her time in front of the camera, went to cosmetology school to understand what everyone was doing with her hair and makeup. In the process of her studies, fell head-over-heels in love…with skin!
When her children were born, Deborah learned the terrifying truth about the chemicals in most cosmetic products. She purchased “natural” bubble bath at a health food store, assuming it was pure until she read the label. She realized her kids were soaking in a product as filled with chemicals as what could be purchased at any drug store!
Already formulating and making products for her own clients, this gap she uncovered helped her see that sumbody needed to do sumthing. Deborah realized the need to bring a truly natural product line to the market that would be accessible to everyone. Hence, Sumbody was born.
In 1999, Deborah published her first book, Look Great, Live Green and she soon became a leading voice in the natural skincare product revolution. Her follow-up book, Natural Beauty Skin Care, empowers consumers to use fewer products and instead turn to their own cupboards for skin care. She teaches DIY classes on how to make your own natural skincare from fresh, effective ingredients and promotes healthy lifestyle changes like her 85/15% Rule. She also teaches master classes to members of the spa industry and classes all over on natural skin care.
Perfect skin is possible with a little love from Sumbody A brand you can trust!
• Sumbody has been a pioneer in the clean beauty industry for over 25 years
• Founder and CEO Deborah is a trained esthetician, cosmetic chemist, author of 3 books on clean beauty, a celebrity skin guru, darling of the press and industry teacher/keynote speaker.
• Deborah and her team create Sumbody’s products by hand, with purpose, for results in our California facility
• Each and every product is formulated by Deborah. Our products are unique, unlike most mass produced stock formula skincare.
The small batch difference
• We produce potent, small batch skin care by hand at our California facility.
• Every product is made in small batches using the freshest, most potent high quality ingredients.
• Sumbody merges hands-on, traditional methods with wholesome ingredients and modern, science-based knowledge for a naturally effective, boutique skincare experience.
• Creating small batch skin care puts us more in touch with our products and process, ensuring peak freshness and wholesome ingredients - we can focus on quality care that surpasses mass-produced options.
• We use the most powerful and potent plant-based ingredients
• We never use fillers, our products are highly concentrated and formulated to deliver real results.
• We source each and every ingredient from reputable providers, knowing that the quality, source and freshness shows on your skin.
• Formulating our own products lets us choose each ingredient for a purpose - every product is unique in its formulation and specifically targets your concerns.
Planet and people friendly
• At Sumbody we are committed to the health of our planet and your skin.
• Always cruelty-free and eco-friendly from concept to bottle
• We use limited packaging, source many of our ingredients locally, and buy organic when possible.
• Sumbody is a leader not only in clean beauty but also planet consciousness. Deborah’s first book ‘Look Great, Live Green’ tackles the waste, pollution and unnecessary excess rampant in the beauty industry.
• As a company we reuse, refuse and resist!
• We reuse everything from boxes to packaging.
• We refuse harmful synthetics, pore-clogging silicates, use of excessive water & waste, inferior ingredients, and chemical run off.
• We resist wasteful fancy packaging, cost-cutting fillers, and outsourcing our manufacturing.
Your skin is unique, why shouldn’t your skin care be?